Cashew coconut vanilla ice cream. A classic vanilla ice cream with a twist. This vegan ice cream is made with a base of coconut milk and cashews. Churn it in an ice cream maker and you’ll get the creamiest frozen treat that’s sweetened with fruit.
If you’ve been following this blog for a while, you probably know how much I love my nice cream (ice cream made from frozen bananas). For years, that was my go-to frozen treat. This summer, I got an ice cream maker and it changed everything.
Yes, I still love my nice cream and eat it regularly, but nothing compares to homemade ice cream made in an ice cream maker.
Granted, this recipe is not typical ice cream. Instead of using cow’s milk and sugar, I make mine with high-fat coconut milk, cashews and dates. From there, you can really add any flavor you like (or keep it simple). Here, I went for a simple vanilla ice cream.
How to Make Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream:
First, this recipe is made using an ice cream maker. I haven’t tried making a no-churn version, but if you don’t have the machine, you can try! From past experience, no-churn ice cream will not have the same creamy result, but it will taste the same.
Now, the first step is important. I blend all the ingredients together in a blender to make a smooth mixture. Canned coconut milk isn’t usually perfectly smooth. You can find some coconut cream mixed in with lower-fat coconut milk. By blending it, everything gets smooth and creamy. Plus, the dates need to be blended anyways.
Once all the ingredients are blended, turn on the ice cream maker and pour in the mixture. Let it churn for 25-30 minutes or until thick and creamy. It should almost form a ball in the middle and stop moving (see above).
From there, you can eat it immediately as soft-serve or store it in an airtight container and let it harden in the freezer for at least 3-4 hours.
This recipe is a great base for other flavors. You can also serve it with fruit crumble (my favorite). Make it your own and enjoy!
Cashew Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1 can (400ml) full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cashews, raw or dry roasted, unsalted
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Start by freezing the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- When the bowl is frozen, prepare the ice cream: Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the bowl in the ice cream maker. Turn it on and pour the blended mixture into the ice cream maker. Churn for 25-30 minutes or until the ice cream is of soft serve consistency.
- Eat as a soft serve or transfer to a sealable container and freeze until firm, about 3-4 hours.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!