Chocolate peanut butter nice cream. Ice cream made from frozen bananas and flavored with cocoa powder and peanut butter. Blend it all together and you’ll have a healthier decadent dessert in 5 minutes. It’s as simple as that.
I’m back home after being in New Brunswick for 3 weeks. On Wednesday, I woke up at 3 am (11pm in BC time) and I spent the entire day in planes and airports. Shaun picked me up at the airport and I bought a bag of tortilla chips and salsa on the way home, made nachos and watched Frozen. Halfway through the movie, I fell asleep and basically woke up 13 hours later. Apparently, I was tired.
Now it’s back to my “routine”. I’m home, working on recipes and working a few shifts at the hospital. I have to say, it’s good to be back in BC and take a break from wedding planning for 8 weeks. We’ll be back in New Brunswick for the wedding in no time.
I don’t exactly have a new recipe for you guys today, but I am sharing an old recipe that needed a bit of love. You can see the original recipe here.
This chocolate peanut butter nice cream goes back to my first week of blogging, 3 years ago. I’ve been on a nice cream kick this summer and I thought I’d update the recipe for you guys. I added a few more notes to the recipe, adjusted it a bit for the better and took some new photos.
How to make nice cream:
Nice cream is a simple ice cream made from one ingredient: frozen bananas. It’s ready in less than 15 minutes and can be customized to your taste. Here’s how I make this one:
I freeze my bananas, peeled and chopped in the freezer overnight. I then process it in the food processor, along with cocoa powder and peanut butter. My Cuisinart food processor does a good job at making it thick and creamy, but with a weaker food processor, you might need to add a touch of milk to help with the blending. Always try to minimize the amount of milk used as it does lead to a softer ice cream. I prefer hard ice cream over soft serve, but maybe I’m weird.
And that’s it! It’s seriously the most simple treat.
This recipe is definitely one of my favorites from the blog and I hope you’ll love it too!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream
- 4 large bananas, sliced and frozen
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened
- Cocoa nibs or chocolate
- More peanut butter
- shredded coconut or coconut chips
- Fresh berries
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the bananas and layer the slices on the prepared sheet. Let them freeze lightly (about 1 hour), then transfer them to an airtight container. Freeze overnight.
- When the bananas are frozen, add them to a food processor, along with the peanut butter and cocoa powder. Process until smooth, about 2-3 minutes (or longer, depending on your food processor). It will look crumbly at first, but scrape the sides and keep processing.
- Serve immediately with toppings of choice.