This creamy cashew chai latte is just what you need to keep you warm this holiday season.
First, how is it November already?! It seems like just a week ago I was excited for September and now the holidays are just around the corner. Has it snowed where you live yet? We haven’t had any snow yet, but the weather is slowly starting to cool. My morning walks to work are definitely getting a little colder!
This weekend, I was craving a warm, comforting drink and I unexpectedly made the best vegan latte recipe I’ve ever had. I knew I wanted to make a latte recipe this month, but I didn’t expect to make one like this. Can you believe that this latte doesn’t contain any milk at all? Yet, it’s absolutely creamy. Instead of milk, I decided to use cashews. Yes, that’s right. Raw cashews are blended with coffee to give you the richest, creamiest vegan latte. No need to heat up some milk. The recipe is inspired by this delicious cashew coffee by Pinch of Yum and it’s truly incredible!
Since I’m using a blender for this recipe, I decided to throw in a Medjool date along with the cashews. The blended dates add a touch of sweetness and balances out perfectly with the light cashew taste and chai spices.
Not to mention that since the whole thing is blended, you end up with a ton of foam on top. It’s the best!
I would honestly take this cashew chai latte over any hot chocolate… Mostly because it involves caffeine.
A few notes on this recipe:
- First, you need a good blender in order to have a smooth drink. I use a Vitamix, which gives me a smooth latte without any cashew or date pieces. No need to strain it! That being said, if you own a weaker blender, you could try blending everything together for 1 minute or so, then straining it using a nut milk bag.
- Second, if you have a strong blender, you may not need to soak the cashews. I don’t bother with mine. However, it can make them easier to blend if your blender is on the weaker side.
- You can also make this latte cold. Either make it while it’s warm and let it chill in the fridge or make it using cold coffee or cold brew, then blend it with soaked cashews. I recommend using soaked cashews since the cold liquid won’t blend them as well as it would warm.
- I used a Medjool date (my sweetener of choice), but feel free to add a touch of honey (if not vegan) or maple syrup instead. Also, adjust the spices to taste!
It really doesn’t get much easier than that. All you need is one blender, 3 ingredients (plus a few spices) and less than 5 minutes. You could be enjoying a warm, creamy and comforting drink in a matter of minutes.
I’ll definitely be drinking this latte while putting up our Christmas tree this year. Along with a pumpkin cupcake (recipe is coming to the blog soon!). We’re clearly decorating for Christmas early this year. Last year, we didn’t have a tree due to the limited space in our old apartment. This year I’m making up for it by putting the tree up mid-November. I already started playing Christmas music last weekend… I can’t help it, I love this time of year! I just want to enjoy the holidays as much as I can this year, especially since this is the first time I’m not writing exams up to the week before Christmas.
With snow and winter coming, I think we could all use a warm cashew chai latte. Don’t you think?
Creamy Cashew Chai Latte
- 2 cups strong brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup cashews, raw and unsalted
- 1-2 Medjool dates, pitted (or maple syrup to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Small pinch each of nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, clove and allspice
- Small pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blend for 30-45 seconds until smooth. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a nut milk bag, you can get 10% off an Ellie’s Best milk bag by using the code “unsweetened” here. This is the one I use and I truly enjoy it!
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!