Creamy vegan cheesy broccoli soup. A creamy and comforting vegan soup that’s packed with broccoli and a delicious cheesy flavour. This soup is blended with a vegan “cheese” sauce that’s made of potatoes and carrots. There’s no dairy involved!
Soup season is here and I so happy. There’s nothing like eating a warm comforting bowl of soup on a cool day.
In reality, we’re having a bit of a warm week here (a big change from last week). However, it hasn’t stopped me from doing anything fall-related. I baked, I made soup and now I’m going apple picking. Then I’m making these.
And now back to today’s soup.
How to Make Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup:
This soup is made in two fairly simple steps. First, you make the simple cheese sauce, then you cook the rest of the soup ingredients.
The Cheese Sauce: This cheesy soup is inspired by my vegan queso, but without the added spices. It’s simply made by blending boiled potatoes and carrots with nutritional yeast, oil and water. This version is not as flavorful as my queso as it’s just the base for this soup. The rest of the ingredients will add all the flavor you need.
The Soup: When the cheese sauce is done, I keep it in the blender and prepare the rest of the soup. Just cook the onions and garlic, then add the broth and the broccoli and let it all boil until the vegetables are soft. You can then add it to the blender with the cheese sauce, blend it all together and the soup is done.
Serve it with roasted chickpeas, croutons or crispy bread for a warm and comforting meal or appetizer.
Creamy Vegan Broccoli & Cheese Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head broccoli (about 5 cups)
- 3 cups vegetable broth, unsalted
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start by making the vegan cheese sauce: Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add your diced potatoes and carrots (ideally chopped in a similar size), then reduce to medium heat and let it simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add the remaining cheese sauce ingredients in a high-speed blender. Add the cooked potatoes and carrots and blend it all together until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, broth, nutritional yeast and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the broccoli is fork tender.
- Transfer the soup to the blender, along with the cheese sauce. Blend it all together until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and add pepper to as needed.
- Serve with roasted chickpeas or croutons if desired.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!