Behold, the most epic vegan French toast PB&J sandwich.
Vegan coconut-crusted French toasts, stuffed with caramelized bananas, peanut butter, strawberry jam, granola and raspberries. I told you, it’s epic.
I originally made this recipe for a contest I did with Crofter’s Organics jam. The contest is now live on Instagram, so check it out for a chance to win a Crofter’s gift pack. All you need to do is tell us which sandwich you like best: Mine or Crofters’. It’s that easy.
Now, let’s talk about this sandwich.
Believe it or not, but it’s not as complicated as it looks. Here’s how it goes:
- Make the French toast: The French toasts are made with plant-based milk, vanilla and coconut. Dunk the bread in the milk mixture and cook on a buttered pan just like regular French toasts.
- While the French toast are cooking, caramelize your bananas. It takes 5 minutes and they’re caramelized with orange juice. No sugar involved here!
- Layer the French toasts with peanut butter, your favorite jam (I used the fruit-sweetened jam from Crofter’s), caramelized bananas and raspberries.
- Top with granola – Bonus if you make it homemade. I love using my date-sweetened granola (minus the spices).
- Close the sandwich and enjoy!
This sandwich is the most incredible sandwich I’ve ever had and I warn you, it’s messy. I recommend eating it like French toast, with a fork. It makes it a lot easier. Just think of it as a stuffed French toast. There’s no going back to the original PB&J sandwich.
Epic Vegan French Toast PB&J Sandwich
- 4 slices bread of choice
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1/2 tablespoon shredded coconut, unsweetened (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon soft margarine or butter
- 1 medium banana
- 1/2 tablespoon soft margarine or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
For the Sandwich
- Peanut Butter
- Jam of choice
Make the French Toast
- Heat the margarine/butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, coconut and vanilla. Dip the bread until evenly coated and place on the heated skillet in a single layer. Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prepare the caramelized bananas: Heat the margarine/butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Layer the sliced bananas and sprinkle with orange juice. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until caramelized and softened. Set aside.
Assemble the Sandwich
- Spread your desired amount of peanut butter and jam and two of the french toast slices. Top with caramelized bananas, raspberries and granola. Close the sandwich and enjoy immediately.