I would have shared these healthy peanut butter crunch balls with you sooner, but the truth is, I didn’t have any photos to go with the recipe.
That’s the problem with being a food photographer and working full time at another job. You don’t get enough light to take pictures during the week.
I developed the recipe earlier this week and I knew I wanted to share it with you guys for the holidays. I know I’m last minute, but at least I got to share the recipe before Christmas! Just before driving home to see our family.
And before the freezing rain starts… We’re expecting two storms over the weekend, including 20-30 cm of snow on Christmas day. I guess we’ll have a white Christmas after all! I know it may be inconvenient for those travelling that day, but I love having a cozy, white Christmas.
Now, for today’s recipe.
It’s very simple and requires only 5 ingredients! 6 if you add the crispy rice cereal, which I highly recommend.
All you need to do is process the peanuts in a food processor until they turn to small crumbs. Then, add the dates, peanut butter and vanilla and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed. It may form a ball during processing – that’s okay. That’s when I remove the blade from the food processor and stir in the cereal. Finally, form little balls using the palm of your hands and store in the freezer until you’re ready to dip them in chocolate. If you’re using unsweetened chocolate like I do, you may want to stick with a little drizzle of chocolate on each peanut butter ball. Dipping them in chocolate may make them a little too bitter. If you’re going for dark chocolate, then I highly recommend dipping them for a real treat.
It’s Christmas time, you deserve a little treat. 🙂
This is the last recipe I’m sharing before the new year, but I’m excited to come back with some healthy recipes in January. So with that, I wish you all a happy holiday!
Healthy Peanut Butter Crunch Balls
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup crispy rice cereal (optional)
- Unsweetened or dark chocolate (for drizzling)
- In a food processor, process the peanuts until they are broken down into fine crumbs.
- Add the dates, peanut butter and vanilla and process until the mixture sticks together when pressed.
- Remove the blade from the food processor and stir in the crispy rice cereal.
- Using the palm of your hands, roll the mixture into 12 balls. Place on a plate or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and store them in the refrigerator or freezer until you're ready to drizzle with chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate using a double boiler or microwave. Drizzle each ball with chocolate or dip in chocolate. Place again on the parchment paper and freeze or refrigerate until the chocolate has set.
- Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!