Summer quinoa salad with dijon vinaigrette. A simple salad made with quinoa, tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh summer herbs. Stir in a zesty dijon vinaigrette for a delicious and light summer meal.
The perfect way to start the first full week of summer. Well, right after this oatmeal cookie dough nice cream I shared on Friday.
I feel like summer started in April for us this year, living in the Okanagan. It’s something that’s strange to us, coming from New Brunswick, a province that’s known for it’s long and snowy winters. But I’m in New Brunswick now for three weeks and I can say that summer has definitely started here too. My walk with Lola this morning was warm, sunny and humid… And full of mosquitos. Basically a typical summer day in the maritimes.
So far, we tested cupcakes for the wedding, we shopped for flowers, fitted my dress and planned the schedule for our wedding day. Other than that, I’ve been catching up with friends and we celebrated my grandparent’s 60th wedding anniversary. So many good things packed into 4 days.
I’m back with another recipe I tested and photographed before leaving for the East Coast. This time, a light savory recipe that’s perfect for summer.
If you’ve been following my recipes for a while, you probably know that I love a good quinoa salad. Honestly, it’s probably the only way I use quinoa. I should diversify, but I don’t really want to.
This is a very simple salad made with fresh summer ingredients. You’ll find some cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and fresh herbs.
How to Make Quinoa Salad:
I start by cooking the quinoa on the stove top. My go-to method is to bring the water and quinoa to a boil together, then simmer it covered for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, I prepare the vegetables and blend all the dressing ingredients together.
When the quinoa is done, just throw all the ingredients together. It’s ready in the time it takes you to cook quinoa.
It’s a very light salad that’s great for a side dish, but you can bulk it up and make it a meal by adding some legumes and cheese. I’m thinking chickpeas and goat cheese would be delicious here. I kept it simple and vegan so that you can build it up from here if desired. As usual, make it your own! I love making healthy recipes simple and adaptable. I hope you guys love it too.
Summer Quinoa Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1 cup quinoa, dry
- 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 cups English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onion, sliced
Garlic Dijon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard (or prepared mustard)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook Quinoa: Rinse quinoa under a fine mesh sieve if desired. Add to a small saucepan with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 15 minutes or until the water has been absorbed. Let it cool.
- Prepare the dressing: In a blender, add all the vinaigrette ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and green onion to a medium bowl. Add the cooled quinoa and dressing. Toss it all together until combined. Serve warm or cold.
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!