Finally a savory recipe!!! Have you noticed that all of my recipes were desserts lately? Chai-Spiced Cut-Out Cookies, Dark Chocolate Mint Truffles, Easy Holiday Truffles, Creamy Sugar-Free Hot Chocolate… I’m not sorry about that at all, but it would probably be a good idea to share a healthy salad recipe once in a while. I suppose. This is actually the first salad recipe I share on the blog, so it was about time! And I think it’s a great one to start with. 🙂
Being a few days away from Christmas, I still wanted to share a holiday inspired recipe. So to make this a winter salad, I decided to add warm roasted sweet potatoes, pecans, dried cranberries and a white wine vinaigrette. Those are all winter salad ingredients in my opinion. Am I right?!
It’s also fairly simple. You can have the salad ready in the time that it takes to roast sweet potatoes. Seriously. So while your sweet potatoes roast for 30 minutes, you can start by making the vinaigrette. It’s the most delicious, healthy and easy vinaigrette you’ll ever make! All you need to do is add all 5 ingredients in a jar, shake it and pour it over your salad. That’s not too complicated is it? Once you’re done with the vinaigrette, you can pop your bread in the oven and let it toast with the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes. By the time the bread has done toasting, your sweet potatoes should be ready and you throw together your greens, sweet potatoes, crumbled bread, dried cranberries, pecans and parmesan in a large bowl. Drizzle with your dressing and dinner is served!
I usually serve this salad as an entree between Shaun and I, but you could easily serve it as a side with turkey, a casserole or whatever you like eating during the holidays. I think I’ll serve it with a vegetarian meat loaf at Christmas Eve. I’m so excited!!
See? Eating healthy during the holidays doesn’t have to be boring!
Sweet Potato & Toasted Bread Winter Salad
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (for roasting)
- 2 slices bread
- 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 6 cups greens (I recommend shredded kale, arugula or mixed greens)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- chopped pecans and parmesan for topping (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
For the Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes in little cubes and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until soft on the inside and lightly brown on the outside.
For the Vinaigrette
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, make the vinaigrette. Add all the ingredients in a jar and shake until mixed. Make sure the garlic is finely grated. You can also add the ingredients in a small blender if preferred.
For the Toasted Bread
- Spread the butter on your bread. Place on a baking sheet and toast the bread for 10 minutes at 400F. Flip the bread and toast for another 5 minutes or until crispy and lightly brown. Crumble the bread into little pieces (like little croutons).
For the Salad
- Add your greens in a large bowl and coat with the vinaigrette. Top with your roasted sweet potatoes, toasted bread and dried cranberries. Add parmesan and chopped pecans if desired. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, make sure to tag your photo #unsweetenedcaroline on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Don’t forget to also tag me @unsweetened.caroline on Instagram so I can see your creations!